I remember too clearly the striking scene two months ago when I stepped into a subway train in New York after I got out of the airport. The image is so strong that it comes up every time when I think of the subway in New York. There are always characters singing and dancing in the middle of the Disney animations, like The Lion King, The Aladdin, or The little Mermaid. Simba sings on the rocks, Aladdin swirlling on the flying carpet, and the little mermaid weeping soundlessly under the dark sea, and so on and so on. All these, mixed together, were put right into that train I stepped in at that day. How lively! How colorful! And how different.
"Oh! Welcome, to New York!" Lin said to us on the train to downtown, "how could I foret to say that when we met in the airport? It is the first words I heard when I first came here. A black man said that to me on a gloomy, rainning street. I had a piece of paper with the address on it, and that's it. That's all I got. And he said that to me."
Lin is a graphic designer. He designs websites and web pages for people. He told me he likes working here. New York is definately different. Not like other American cities, there is no boundary between insider and outsider here. Every New Yorker once was an outsider! We all come from varied places.
I once understood what he was saying. There was the tension mixed with everything, energy, pride, acceptance, and tolerance in that train. New York, it is where all the different people come together and become the same. If there should be only one religion existed on earth, I wonder, it should probably be the New Yorkism. This is something spiritual that comes from all the links between all the different people, and different culture backgrounds. They collide with each other, they interlock, and they intergrate. Maybe this is why all the subway stations in New York are covered by mosaic. The beautiful, dazing mosaic.
No comments:
Post a Comment